Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Pre-admission screening

Knee-minus-14 days, Wednesday 15-Sep-2004:
Pre-admin testing. These turned out to be typical clinical examinations of urine and blood. I had both an ECG and a chest X-ray. I met with a nurse who walked me through the details of a three to five-day stay in the hospital. What to wear, what to bring, what not to bring. I also had repeated opportunities to ask questions.

I then got a little neurotic, having been pummeled with information about the risks involved in surgery, in hospital stays, with anesthesia. I promptly went back to work and and developed contingency plans both for my business and for my home. We reviewed our wills, and power of attorney documents.

I also spent lots of time on-line digging into potential TKR complications, how to recognize them, and how to avoid them. Happily, I can now state that none of them happened with me.